Sunday 5 February 2017

Pacific Diver, East Chevington 4th February 2017


A first-winter Pacific Diver has been present at Druridge Bay Country Park/East Chevington in Northumberland since Friday 20th January 2017. The UK total stands at seven for this trans-Atlantic vagrant, with few records outside the south-west Cornwall area. I set out yesterday morning & arrived on site around midday.

The first-winter Pacific Diver was on view soon after entering the second hide on the eastern side of the lake at East Chevington. It was feeding the whole time I was there, so diving frequently on the far side.

Having dipped the first-winter White-billed Diver at Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire twice earlier in the week, it was somewhat of a relief to connect.

A birder who set up his 'scope right next to me in the hide turned out to be old birding friend Dave Willis. Dave was heading next to try for the Black Scoter at Goswick. Since I was also planning on this Dave invited me to join him & then return me to my car at Druridge Bay, so we headed North.

Video by Alex H-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment