Saturday 3 June 2017

Iberian Chiffchaff, Kelsall 3rd June 2017


The second record of Iberian Chiffchaff for Cheshire & Wirral was found by local birder Luke Ozsanlav-Harris at Primrose Wood, Kelsall on Wednesday 31st May 2017. I made my way over to Kelsall this morning.

Upon arrival a couple of birders just about to leave informed me the Iberian Chiffchaff was located beyond the second, sharp bend. A short distance along the main path beyond the bend, a smaller path headed off to the left up a bank, just before a sign about forestry work being carried out. The path quickly opened out into a small glade where the bird was located. There were three other birders on site when I arrived & the Iberian Chiffchaff soon showed in the small Birch in the centre of the glade. It was too close for me to focus my bins on, so I edged back further up the hill.


The Iberian Chiffchaff moved about the whole area, circling round, but returned to the Birch several times, giving excellent views. Most of the time it was singing, although not always the full song, sometimes leaving out the final trill.

Video by Pete Hines


Previous record:
2004 Dibbinsdale, male in song, 29th April to 20th May (P. Brewster, P. S. Woollen).

No comments:

Post a Comment