Tuesday 24 February 2015

Harlequin Duck, Aberdeen 23rd February 2015


On Saturday 3rd January 2015 an immature male Harlequin Duck was found on the River Don at Seaton Park, Aberdeen. I took the long trek north some weeks later to see this long staying Icelandic vagrant.

Upon arrival at Seaton Park, I continued along the road towards the River Don & followed the southern bank westwards. A couple with tripod informed they'd seen the bird & had it in the 'scope. After a quick look at part of a small shape moving behind the rocks at what turned out to be below Papermill Drive, I found my way through the housing estate & back down to the river. I edged around to the area by the fence coming down to the river, but there was no sign of the bird. As I looked around, downstream a small dark object dived. When it surfaced a few moments later it was unmistakably the Harlequin! The bird then spent some time on a small island before flying back to the rapids & continuing to feed. I departed Wallasey at 4.30am & returned at 10pm. Phew!

It's unusual for a Harlequin Duck to be so accessible. They're usually on some far flung northern island in coastal waters! While I was on site I saw only two other birders & had the bird to myself most of the time.

Video by Pete Hines



BBC Winterwatch 2015 - Harlequin Duck, Aberdeen


No comments:

Post a Comment