Sunday 31 May 2015

Black-winged Pratincole, Bothal Pond 30th May 2015


News of a Black-winged Pratincole at Bothal Pond in Northumberland, found by local birder Dave Dack on Friday afternoon, had me setting off early-doors for the north-east on Saturday morning. I arrived on site mid-morning.

The tell-tale line of parked cars & line of tripods & 'scopes a moment later as I rounded the bend, indicated I was in the right place. The Black-winged Pratincole was immediately viewable & for the whole time I was there. However, it was rather distant on the far side of the pool. It spent most of the time hunkered down, even when the Lapwings were spooked a couple of times & flew off temporarily. It did wander around a bit providing reasonable 'scope views, but did not take flight while I was on site, as it had done the previous evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment