Monday 17 August 2015

Caspian Gull, Ainsdale 17th August 2015


A first-summer Caspian Gull was found by local birder Pete Kinsella about five weeks ago on the beach between Formby & Ainsdale. The last week or so the bird has been seen regularly at Ainsdale. I tried for it last week at Formby Point, but with no joy, so I decided to give it another go this morning.

I arrived at Ainsdale beach car park late morning. As was the case last week, I'd chosen a beautiful sunny day & this was reflected in the holiday makers on the beach, although not as many as at Formby last week. A couple of birders were on the beach, so I made my way over to them. One was Pete Kinsella, who informed me they had seen the bird earlier & were waiting for it to return. Almost immediately Pete spotted the Caspian Gull flying towards us. We watched as the gull flew over the car park a few times before heading over us & landing on the beach.


For the next hour or so we watched the bird flying about, landing on the water as the tide came in & generally taking no notice at all of all the bathers frolicking about on the beach. Eventually, the gull moved further north about 200yds to roost with a small flock of Lesser Black-backed Gulls.


No comments:

Post a Comment