Tuesday 10 August 2021

Pacific Golden Plover, Frampton Marsh RSPB 10th August 2021


A Pacific Golden Plover arrived at Frampton Marsh RSPB a few weeks ago. A few days later a second bird arrived in exactly the same area of the marsh as the first bird! Both birds have been seen daily in the same area viewable from the old sea wall. There's been a few Pacific Golden Plovers about recently including one on the west coast on Anglesey at Malltraeth, with another bird still present intermittently at various sites along the north Norfolk coast. I headed over to Frampton early this morning, arriving on site mid-morning.

The map on the front of Reception proved very useful, and looking towards the sea wall I could see birders all along it, but there was a small group to the right corresponding to the Pacific Golden Plovers' location on the map, so I headed over. As I walked along the sea wall there was a birder scoping the nearest pool. Naturally, I asked him if he was watching one of the Pacific Golden Plovers, which he was. I sat down on the bank & could see the bird immediately. It was present for the whole time I was on site, sometimes disappearing briefly behind the vegatation.


The second Pacific Golden Plover was a bit further east along the sea wall (It could be seen from where we were watching the other bird). All the birders who were watching this other bird had migrated to where we were watching from, enabling them closer views than the other bird. At this point I moved along the sea wall & watched alone, except for a couple further back along the sea wall.

I did check out the reserve since I'd not been there previously. Most birds were concentrated on the pool(s) behind the main Reception includng loads of Black-tailed Godwits, Avocets, Dunlin and others. Best of all were four Little Stints (two juveniles and two adults).

Video by Pete Hines


No comments:

Post a Comment