Monday 18 October 2021

Two-barred Greenish Warbler, Spurn 18th October 2021

A Two-barred Greenish Warbler was found at Spurn last Saturday. The bird was discovered by visiting birder David Bevan, but identified as a Yellow-browed Warbler. However, sometime later local birder Adam Hutt reidentified the bird as a Two-barred Greenish Warbler, a first for Spurn and the ninth for UK.

Figuring there would probably be a large crowd on the Sunday, I waited until today to make my way to the east coast. I went on news of the Two-barred Greenish Warbler still being present and arrived on site mid-afternoon. I had brief views almost as soon as I arrived, in the understory of the Sycamore on the left of the photo above. Over the next few hours I had several views spread about the small wooded area next to the Spurn Discovery Centre, but each time only for a couple of seconds. Eventually, off to the right of the photo, I did have a series of sustained views out in the open, fortunately far enough away for me to be able to focus my bins!

Photo by Adam Hutt | Photo by Gill O'Neil

Previous records:
1987 Isles of Scilly - Gugh, first-winter, 22nd to 27th October.
1996 Norfolk - Holkham Meals, 15th to 16th October.
2003 Isles of Scilly - Bryher, Samson Hill, 27th to 28th September.
2006 North Yorkshire - Filey, 16th to 18th October.
2016 Orkney - Papa Westray, 1CY, 9th October.
2017 Shetland - Foula, Mucklegrind, 2CY+, 30th May.
2017 Dorset - St Aldhelm's Head, 1CY, 15th to 18th October.
2019 Suffolk - Orford Quay, 1CY+, 13th October.

No comments:

Post a Comment