Saturday 3 October 2015

Baltasound to Sandwick

After a hugely enjoyable two weeks birding on Unst, based at Baltasound, it was time to head south to the Mainland for the remaining two weeks.

Baltasound (left)
Baltasound (right)

There were a couple of memorable afternoons as the sun set & evenings as the stars appeared, looking south from our chalet.

Having arrived at the B&B in Sandwick Thursday evening, it wasn't until we'd returned from Norby on the Friday I had a chance to check out the area around where I was staying in Sandwick.

Mousa from Sandwick

The house was on top of the hill overlooking the Isle of Mousa.

Leebitten

I wandered down the hill from the top left of the photo above & explored the area around Leebitten, comprising of beach, fields, ditches, Iris beds & a small amount of woodland at Sand Lodge, on the right of the photo above. Just beyond the photo to the right & back over my shoulder, I found two Yellow-browed Warblers at Sand, a derelict farm, in a small weedy patch on that first evening. So, this area became my temporary local patch, together with Hoswick a couple of miles away, for my remaining stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment