Sunday 11 October 2015

Mainland Shetland 4th October to 11th October

On Sunday I failed to see a Barred Warbler at Channerwick after walking all the way over there. I caught the bus into Lerwick on Monday morning & hired a car for the remainder of my stay.

I popped down to Quendale & though I didn't see the long-staying Bluethroat there, I did see a Great Grey Shrike quite well. I also saw a very accomodating Lapland Bunting at Sumburgh, next to the lower car park. Photo by Yoav Perlman.

Sumburgh Lighthouse viewing north from trig point

I didn't venture out at all on Tuesday & only briefly on Wednesday, due to the weather conditions. However, south-easterlies & rain boded well.

Orca Country Inn, Hoswick

I spent the next four days around the Sandwick/Hoswick/Swinister area. In the grounds of the Orca Country Inn at Hoswick there's a large area of cover, more in the surrounding gardens. The footpath between Hoswick & Swinister also has a lot of cover. There was an obvious influx of birds on Thursday morning. Highlights included brilliant, close, prolonged views of a Barred Warbler at the entrance to the Orca Hotel. Saw this bird again but a bit further away on the following Sunday. Pied Flycatcher here also. Great Grey Shrike at Swinister as well as Brambling. Good numbers of Yellow-browed Warblers all over the place. A good supporting cast of Chiffchaffs, Willow Warbler, Blackcaps, Garden Warbler & Goldcrests.

Although nothing major turned up, a very enjoyable few days & especially catching up with a Barred Warbler after failing to see a couple of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment