Wednesday 28 September 2016

Brünnich's Guillemot, Anstruther 27th September 2016


A Brünnich's Guillemot was found in Anstruther harbour by visiting birders Alan Lauder & Ken Shaw on their way to the Isle of May last Sunday 25th September 2006.

I made the long drive north yesterday morning after hearing the bird was still present, arriving on site late afternoon. Having parked at the eastern end of the harbour I checked the outer harbour with no joy & couldn't even see any other birders. As I made my way around to the inner harbour my attention was drawn towards a bird on the water close to some moored boats & upon lifting my bins proved to be the Brünnich's Guillemot. I continued around the harbour & onto the pier & obtained excellent views as the bird seemed to be gaining shelter from the wind between the moored boats whilst it preened.


Although I hadn't seen any other birders, very quickly the ranks swelled to about half a dozen. The Brünnich's Guillemot drifted out of view, but was relocated after a long wait very close into the pier a bit further along.


A very big thank you to the guy who saved my 'scope when it blew over in a gust of wind just as the bird surfaced underneath one of the double-hulled boats. Brilliant catch sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment