Sunday 4 September 2016

Western Swamphen, Alkborough 4th September 2016


Last Tuesday, 30th August 2016, a Western Purple Swamphen appeared at Alkborough Flats NR in Lincolnshire. It turns out this is the same bird which graced Minsmere RSPB in Suffolk for a few days a couple of weeks back. I was unable to get time off work to go for that bird & then it did a Friday bunk anyway, so fortunate to have a second chance & a lot nearer home. If accepted as a wild bird, the Minsmere record would be a first for the UK.

Having decided against going yesterday because of what looked like a shedload of rain expected, I set off early this morning & arrived at the Whitton Road car park about 9.30am. As I walked along the path towards the reserve there were a few birders not far ahead of me who had all stopped to look over the reserve & could see the Western Swamphen as it moved to and fro along the edge of the very distant reedbed to the right of the main lagoon in front of a smaller square lagoon behind.


On the left you can see the hide & a small crowd of birders behind on the track. I made my over to their location & joined about 20/30 birders (numbers fluctuated constantly). The Western Swamphen appeared sporadically as it wandered about on the far edge of the lagoon, giving very good, repeated views if rather distant.

Just as I was leaving the site a small film crew arrived & asked everyone if they minded being filmed, which they didn't, but quite a few hastily departed. I spoke with one of the crew & he told me they were from "The One Show" with Mike Dilger & that the film would be broadcast sometime in the next two weeks.

Video by Pete Hines of the bird at Minsmere


No comments:

Post a Comment